Pages

October 12, 2013

I'm Done Justifying Myself

I'm done justifying my blog posts with explanations, statements of purpose, and purely self-analytical observations. Justifying my posts before or after writing them tends to create an overly-personal feel, tends to create a split focus in the reader ("What is he writing?" vs. "Why did he write this?"), and lengthens posts that could stand more editing than anything else.

Granted, I like the personal feel of this blog. But personal reflections that only talk about my "craft" tend to be reflexive and difficult to relate to. I like self-expression and the exhilaration thereof. But - as much as this blog stands as gigantic evidence to the contrary - I like tight, economical writing. I like writing that gets where it should and doesn't demand too much of the reader. And justification gets in the way of that.

You don't need the constant justifications and neither do I. I'm plenty imaginative; development in craft for me means culling those things that neither writer nor reader needs.

So it's done. I made the decision, now live with my decision. Thank you for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment